Sunday, March 19, 2006

Grown-Up, Ski Sleigh, Wherefore Forsaken?

Dear Reader, wherefore hast thou forsaken me? At the hit rate so far today, it looks like we're back at the average readership when the blog was two weeks old. Sunday, bloody Sunday.

Look at me. I've been out skiing twice today and vacuumed 80 square meters, and still you don't see me shirking my blog responsibilities! Hell-ooo, this is an attention-based economy, right?



Here's me and my daughter around noon today. She's in my dad's Saami ski sleigh that I used to ride in back in the mid-70s. Actually, he'd take me skiing right on the same golf course where we went today. I'm a stationary kind of guy.

It occurred to me that our skiing jaunt today was probably the most grown-up thing I've ever done so far. Get this: me and my spouse and our two kids took the family car to the snow-covered golf course and went skiing together before going home for lunch.

I take it to mean that this is as close as I'll ever get to the eternal cosmic secrets known to grown-ups.

[More blog entries about , , , ; , , .]

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not only a family, you're a WHOLESOME family. How scary is that? I've been doing this grownup thing longer than you, but I still feel like a fraud. How can I possibly be trusted to raise three kids? Our big moment of realization was when we bought a minivan (I'm shrinking with embarrassment as I admit this). And before we married, my husband made me promise I would shoot him if he ever suggested such a thing. Which I haven't done yet. I think being a grownup is all about eating your words.

19 March, 2006 22:16  
Blogger Martin said...

Haha, I imagine that inside of you is a pretty wild 22-year-old art school chick, staring aghast at hubby, kids & minivan, and thinking "OMGWTF!?!?".

To me, wholesomeness has always come natural. But realising that this is as wise and capable as I'm ever going to get is a bit disorientating.

20 March, 2006 11:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naaah- I was a wild art school chick wannabe. I tried very hard to get past my basic, annoying wholesomeness, but never managed it very well. Still, giving up our small amount of cool was painful, and yes, even so I have my moments of OMGWTF?!?

I do think you continue to gain wisdom throughout your life, though maybe not capability.

20 March, 2006 18:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does it matter - I mean the grown up thing?! You´ll die anyway.
You look gorgeous in the picture, like a man from the fifties...

Your former wife

20 March, 2006 22:23  
Blogger Martin said...

Why, thank you dearie! But -- people who were men in the 50s are about 80 now. Am I really getting that bald?

20 March, 2006 23:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you may find yourself
living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself
in another part of the world
And you may find yourself
behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself
in a beautiful house,
with beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself
-Well...how did I get here?

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

25 March, 2006 17:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker