Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Half a Year of Blogging

Salto sobrius will be half a year old on Friday the 16th. I'll be at a conference in Germany where I won't be able to do the statistics for this entry. So, a bit early, here's some taking stock of the first half-year. (I love stats!)

Posting frequency: on average a bit more than one entry a day.



Readership: monthly averages are steady at c. 90-120 unique readers daily starting February. I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of growth. Note that the traffic I do see depends heavily on active marketing to an e-mail list, an on-line forum and several blog carnivals. Simply posting and pinging isn't enough. The dip in April occurred largely because I was doing fieldwork and missed carnival submission deadlines. I'm hosting three of my favourite carnivals in July, September and October, and that should attract some heavy traffic.

But what really bothers me are the figures for regular readers. First-time visitors who end up here because they searched for the word bikini aren't really such a big deal. But ideally, every week a few of these first-timers should become regulars. Instead, the blog seems to be stuck at 30-40 regulars a day. I'm not sure what to do about this except continue writing whatever I feel like writing. But do send requests! And tell yer friends.

Links: on Technorati, with links from 61 individual sites, Salto sobrius is currently ranked about number 42 000 out of 44 million, which is pretty good.

Comments: Dear Reader, I love your comments. The other day I met AkhĂ´rahil and told him his comments are great. He looked surprised and said "But I keep disagreeing with you!". So keep 'em coming, people.

I enjoy blogging a lot: I love to write, and the blog fills an important communicative need for me as I lead a pretty lonely professional life, being a research scholar without university affiliation. So I think I'll be here for quite a while.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're "...a research scholar without university affiliation" How do you do that? Freelance researcher in archaeology... in Sweden!? Sounds strange.


Oh, and congratulations with the half-year!

14 June, 2006 23:11  
Blogger Martin said...

It's just a nice way of saying "jobless PhD not on the dole thanks to small research grants". I subsist on grants from private research foundations set up by elderly industrialists. This allows me to do research full time including a fair bit of fieldwork.

15 June, 2006 10:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the best! Best husband, best guy, bestbestbest.

Wife

15 June, 2006 13:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker