Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Going Pro?

Dear Reader, I am excited. I have been offered to move this blog from Blogger.com to a high-profile venue elsewhere.

This would mean that I'd have to start again from zero on the blog's Technorati and Google rankings, as they are tied to the current URL. But the Blogger site's ranking would still help pull in readers who would find a re-direction link to the new site. Which would in turn attract more traffic than the old site simply by being where it is. So reaching the current rankings again would most likely not take a whole year.

Another question bothered me more. Would they make me change my blogging habits? Perhaps ask me to write more about this and less about that? No, apparently not. They want me to continue doing what I do.

And then there's a money issue. These people would stick ads on the blog and make a small profit off it. Would any of that trickle down to me? Apparently yes. Certainly not big money, but getting paid at all to blog would be pretty neat, don't you think? And blogging at the new place would mean greater visibility and thus possibly generate revenue indirectly through speaking engagements, review copies and promotional freebies.

So you can see why I'm excited. I'll let you know more when things solidify!

[More blog entries about ; .]

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go! You deserve to be paid for the very much enjoyable writing you do.

20 December, 2006 22:11  
Blogger Monado said...

Go for it! You deserve a wider audience.

"I jump sober"?

21 December, 2006 03:24  
Blogger Johan A said...

If you don't have to compromise with what you want to blog about, I say yay. Getting a higher-profile place to blog from. more attention and a littgle money for the trouble is good. Congratulations.

21 December, 2006 09:53  
Blogger Martin said...

Thanks guys! I'm going for it, as you suggest. Just want to haggle a bit over the pay.

Monado: that verb apparently means both "jump" and "dance" in Classical Latin. Here's more about the blog's name.

21 December, 2006 10:27  
Blogger Henrik said...

Well, as long as you don't sell your soul or anything.

You can put ads on your page if you like to, but it will certainly subtract from the experience.

BTW, do consider the fact that www.saltosobrius.se is still there for the taking... hint hint

21 December, 2006 20:48  
Blogger Martin said...

It's not that I'm really keen to have ads, but I do want even more readers, and I think the new site will be able to deliver that.

I guess their people will be away on holiday for while now, so it'll probably be weeks before the new location goes live. I've already written my first entry for it. (-;

21 December, 2006 21:23  
Blogger Karen said...

If it's something you want to do, go for it. As long as you're still able to write what you wish and they're not "editing" your work, it sounds pretty good. Keep us posted!

21 December, 2006 21:27  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like excellent news. Congratulations!

22 December, 2006 21:07  
Blogger Martin said...

Thanks, man! (-;

22 December, 2006 23:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker